Going to court solo to resolve your child custody, divorce, or other family law issues may seem like the best solution, but in my experience, retaining the services of an experienced La Mesa attorney helps in both the short and long run.
Here are the top 10 reasons why you need to be represented by an attorney:
- The litigation process is confusing. Procedures and language being used may be difficult to understand and the slightest error could be used against you. Do you know the legal meaning of “shall”?
- Court is stressful especially if you’re unfamiliar with the process.
- Any signs of lack of preparation and your ex or their attorney may steamroll you.
- Judges may lack patience and you may not know how to quickly get your most important points across.
- Standing in front of the Judge with your ex on the other side is intimidating.
- Your Judge may not feel very approachable. That warm and fuzzy feeling may not exist when you're standing in a court of law.
- The Judge doesn’t know your family. Having an attorney explain each detail thoroughly and in legal terms is critical for your success.
- The system is hard to navigate. It’s definitely not very user friendly, and as a result, you may feel the system is working against you.
- Proceedings move quickly and you may not understand what is being included in the Judge’s orders. Do you know what it means when the Judge says they are adapting the FCS recommendation?
- Attempting to do everything on your own may make your situation worse and you may need to eventually hire an attorney to clean up for you and that may turn out to be more costly in the long-run.
Call the Law Office of Andrea Schneider today at (619) 518-0476 to set up an initial FREE consultation regarding your child custody agreement and learn how we can help you create a very specific agreement for your family's needs.