Divorce Mediation & Arbitration in California
La Mesa Collaborative Divorce Lawyer
Divorce does not have to be contested, with every dispute argued in court and ruled upon by a judge. A collaborative approach to divorce, through mediation or arbitration, can offer a less expensive, less time-consuming, and less stressful approach to ending a marriage. In my 30 years as a licensed attorney, as a La Mesa divorce lawyer, I have witnessed firsthand just how advantageous such an approach can be, and I am here to provide skilled counsel through arbitration or mediation.
If you’re interested in taking a different approach to divorce through mediation or arbitration, call my office at (619) 304-8499. I am here to listen and help.
Divorce Mediation vs. Arbitration in California
Mediation and arbitration have some similarities, but it is important to understand how these methods work if you are considering either one:
- Divorce Mediation allows for both parties involved to negotiate directly with one another and find a mutual agreement that works in the best interests of all those involved. Instead of allowing a judge to decide the terms of the divorce, mediation gives both spouses an opportunity to discuss the terms of the separation with the help of an impartial mediator.
- Divorce Arbitration offers divorcing spouses a private setting to present their case to an arbitrator they have selected to hear their case. After a hearing wherein he or she is presented with the issues that need to be decided upon, the arbitrator will render a decision. This decision is legally binding and typically cannot be appealed.
Mediation or arbitration may be the right option for you if:
- Both you and your spouse came to a mutual decision to divorce
- You desire to stay on amicable terms with your spouse
- You are not looking to pass blame on your spouse
- There wasn't a history of physical or emotional abuse
- You and your spouse are looking for a quick divorce process
By taking the time to talk to you and truly understand your goals and concerns, I can help you make an informed choice about pursuing mediation or arbitration. I know what you are going through, and my objective is to work as your La Mesa divorce attorney to alleviate the stress you are experiencing, all while guiding you through toward a brighter future.
Private Mediator vs. Court-Ordered Mediation
A private mediator is usually hired by you to assist in the divorce process. During the mediation process, the main topics that are discussed are the distribution of assets and debts, child custody and support, visitation, and spousal support. If the divorce case involves children, the court will mandate a mediator under California Family Code Section 3170.
The mediator will ask a series of questions and obtain information from both parents in an effort to help both parties find an agreeable plan for the child. If an agreement cannot be reached, the mediator will make recommendations to the court based on their assessment, which the judge will strongly consider when handing down a decision.
To learn if divorce mediation or arbitration is right for you, please give me a call at (619) 304-8499. I serve clients across El Cajon, La Mesa, Lemon Grove, and the surrounding San Diego communities.
Former Clients Share Their Stories
Experienced in Handling a Wide Array of Cases
Andrea was very helpful.- Betty H.
Super helpful- Daren G.
Very knowledgeable.- Ron S.
I couldn't have done it without the two of you.- Former Client
I would highly recommend her.- Desiree K.
Very helpful- Catherine J.
Andrea is someone I highly respect and trust.- Michelle H.
Extremely helpful/knowledgeable.- Sean J.
Professional Help When You Need It Most
Why Choose The Law Offices of Andrea Schneider?
A Collaborative ApproachI will strategize and develop a game plan that will help you achieve your goals, all while staying within your budget.
Protecting Your Interests
I have your best interest at heart and in mind. I will patiently listen to what you want, need and value.
Thoughtful & CaringI truly care about my clients and am here to help them with any legal matter they are facing.
Family Comes FirstAs a mother of two, I understand it is important to do what's best for you and your family. You can trust I will do just that for you.
Direct Attorney Access
When you call my office, you get me! You will not be handed off. I live and breathe your case. I will be with you every step of the way.
Personalized AttentionI treat my clients like family, not case numbers. My clients get the personal attention that their case deserves.