La Mesa Divorce Attorney
Considering Filing for Divorce in San Diego?
While most people marry with high hopes for the future and the thought of divorce far from their minds, the reality is that half of all marriages end in divorce.
Here Is How I Can Help You:
- I treat my clients like family.
- I provide quality counsel to help you through difficult times.
- I have over been a licensed divorce attorney in La Mesa for over 30 years.
- I am a trained mediator, giving me a unique perspective to family law matters.
Once you and your partner have decided that divorce is the best option, you must now determine how to complete the process, and more importantly, who you will hire to guide you through it.
With well over two decades of experience, I believe in providing compassionate counsel that explores all of your legal options.
I handle a wide variety of divorce cases that include:
- Division of assets
- Contested divorce
- Same-sex divorce
- Military divorce
- Mediation & arbitration
- Separation agreements
- Uncontested divorce
Settling everything out of court, if possible, may be the best solution, especially in marriages where there are children involved.
Your Best Interests Always Come First
Through mediation and arbitration, partners can negotiate the distribution of assets and, if they have children, can discuss custody and visitation rights. When an agreement cannot be reached between both parties, the divorce is then taken to court.
My commitment to you:
- I will always provide my counsel to help families decide the best options for their future.
- I will encourage communication and collaboration to help resolve issues and come to an agreement, if possible.
- I will always look for a middle ground that works in the best interests of all parties, working directly with my clients to do everything in my power to help them, both in and out of the courtroom.
Grounds for Divorce in California
California is exclusively a “no-fault” divorce state.
No-fault divorce – This is when a couple doesn’t have to cite a specific fault as the reason for divorce. Instead, one or both spouses can claim that there are “irreconcilable differences” and that the marriage is beyond repair.
Some states offer both fault (such as adultery, abuse, abandonment, etc.) and no-fault divorce options, but California doesn’t even consider faults of the spouses when deciding matters related to the divorce.
The only other ground that a resident in California can use to file for divorce is “incurable insanity”. However, this option is not used often as it requires a high burden of proof and no-fault divorce is a much easier process.
The Divorce Process in California
In both amicable and contested matters, the divorce process will proceed as follows:
- The petitioner will need to figure out how they would like to end the marriage (divorce, legal separation, or annulment)
- The petitioner may choose to discuss an agreement with his or her partner
- Paperwork must then be filed by the petitioner at the courthouse
- The court forms are then handed over to the partner by someone who is not involved in the case
- The partner, called "the respondent," then decides whether or not to file a response
- If the partner does not file a response, the judge can make the decision to end the marriage
- If the partner files a response with the courthouse, then a copy is delivered to the petitioner by someone who is not involved in the case
- Both parties will then exchange financial documents showing their debts and property
- If an agreement cannot be reached between both parties, they will need to go to court
Divorce Counsel in San Diego, La Mesa, El Cajon & Lemon Grove
While settling out of court is the preferred method, it may not always be possible or advisable. Such is the case with marriages where there has been physical and emotional abuse. Additionally, if your partner has hired an attorney of their own and is being vindictive, it is highly advised that you seek legal counsel.
No matter the circumstances, I am prepared to use my experience as a divorce lawyer in La Mesa to protect your rights and interests at this crucial turning point in your life.
Andrea, though not focused in the end on the area of law I needed, found me another attorney who is. I've not heard this before from anyone, but I would Not have found them without another attorney's, Andrea's, generous help and referral. Forever grateful!!- Christina L.
She was very kind and helpful. Wasn’t able to help on my case but went out of her way to put me in touch with right a lawyer! I would have used her without a second thought. Very trust worthy.- Dawn M.
Andrea was responsive, and able to provide me with a referral for my case. She was unable to take me on as a client but able to provide me with referrals the same day . Thank you for your help in this difficult time .- Cecelia H.
Andrea was so kind, professional, and helpful when I inquired about working with her. Although she was unable to take on the specifics my case required, she took the time to give me resources and guidance on what it was I was looking for and needed. You can tell she truly cares about her work and the wellbeing of others.- Rayne P.
Offered great suggestions in our initial discussion and helped direct my needs to the right divorce/child custody attorneys for me.- Casey B.
Andrea was very responsive to my call. She asked for all details and said though she couldn’t take our case, she knew of 2 divorce attorneys she would recommend and would contact as well as texting their contact information.- Marleen H.
Andrea reached out to me same day as my inquiry, she did advised me that she wasn't taking new cases like mine at the time. However, she was quick to give me names and numbers of other attorneys who would be able to help with my case. Loved the fact that she just didn't say no, she helped me find a solution.- Angelica W.
Andrea is AMAZING! She goes above and beyond to help me. She also referred me to other attorneys who specialize in the specific issues that I was dealing with. I’m delighted to have had the opportunity to connect with her. I highly recommend her to anyone in need of her services. She’s prompt and reliable and you will receive exceptional services and achieve results! Thank you for being excellent!- Benita D.
A Collaborative ApproachI will strategize and develop a game plan that will help you achieve your goals, all while staying within your budget.
Protecting Your Interests
I have your best interest at heart and in mind. I will patiently listen to what you want, need and value.
Thoughtful & CaringI truly care about my clients and am here to help them with any legal matter they are facing.
Family Comes FirstAs a mother of two, I understand it is important to do what's best for you and your family. You can trust I will do just that for you.
Direct Attorney Access
When you call my office, you get me! You will not be handed off. I live and breathe your case. I will be with you every step of the way.
Personalized AttentionI treat my clients like family, not case numbers. My clients get the personal attention that their case deserves.