Skip to Content
child custody with gavel

Modify Your Parenting Plan to Meet Your Children’s Needs in 2021

Despite the challenges 2020 dealt us, we have made it through with optimistic hopes of a brighter year ahead. Still, concerns for the safety and wellbeing of our families are heightened as COVID-19 is still lingering with a dangerous presence. This year is poised to be another that’s unlike any we’ve experienced before. Consider modifying your parenting plan to ensure you and your family are prepared for it.

Reasons You May Need a Change

Few of us are in a position we could have foreseen a year ago. Significant changes in circumstance, such as a job loss, job change, or need to relocate were common consequences of the pandemic and are valid reasons to request a child custody modification for the best interest of your child.

The pandemic offers additional considerations for co-parents seeking a modification to their plan. Families may benefit from a change if:

  • Your child is returning to school, and you or the other parent are immunocompromised. A temporary modification could outline directions for your child to reside primarily with one parent until you both are able to receive the vaccine.
  • You or your co-parent are a frontline worker and want to keep your child safe from potential exposure by having them stay with the non-frontline worker.
  • Either of you had to change careers because of the pandemic, and your current custody plan is unsustainable.

The beginning of the year offers a chance to reflect on what elements of your parenting plan didn’t work as well as they could have in 2020. This is your opportunity to make the necessary changes so that you and your family start the year on the right foot.

When You and Your Co-parent Agree

Coparents who agree on the terms of a new parenting plan can seek a modification relatively simply by using a stipulation/written agreement.

To do so, we will:

  • Look at your current orders and see what you have and what you want, what is working and what isn’t
  • Negotiate and create a very specific written agreement that is right for your family.
  • Sign and make copies of the documents
  • Submit the documents and copies to the judge for their signature
  • File the signed forms with the court clerk to have the agreement become an Order of the Court.

If you have not yet reached an agreement with your co-parent, we can help. The Law Offices of Andrea Schneider can help you and your co-parent foster a productive conversation where you both share your needs and hopes for the new parenting plan so that you can both make the most of this year with your child.

When You and Your Co-parent Disagree

If you are unable to reach an agreement, we can file for a modification where we ask the Judge for a new parenting plan based on the changes in your circumstances and how your child’s best needs can be protected. To complete the process, we will:

  • Look at your current orders and see what you have and what you want, what is working and what isn’t
  • Complete and review the Request for an Order form
  • Make copies for yourself and your co-parent
  • Present the court with the original document and pay the filing fee
  • Receive an appointment for mediation and court
  • Have your co-parent served with the papers
  • File the proof of service
  • Coach you for the very important mediation and hearing

The Law Offices of Andrea Schneider will be by your side throughout the entire process to fight for the future that you envision for your family. Attorney Schneider is a mother of 2 kids and really enjoys helping families come up with visitation and custody plans that are specific and right for their family. Start planning for the year you deserve. Call us today at (619) 304-8499 or contact us online to get started.