Skip to Content
mother and daughter spending time together

Child custody is a serious matter and parents are obligated to comply with the details of their Court Order. If your ex is refusing to abide by the agreement, you have some options available to you that will help enforce the court order.

Enforcing Your Child Custody Agreement

As a general rule, courts believe it is in the best interests of a child to maintain a relationship with both parents. If your ex is interfering with your parenting time, the law is on your side.

Here is what you can do if your ex will not abide by your child custody arrangement:

  • Have your attorney write a letter to your ex, informing them that they must comply with the court order. In some cases, all it takes to rectify this situation is an attorney to remind the non-compliant parent that there are some potentially severe legal consequences.
  • File a request to modify your current child custody order. In cases where a parent repeatedly fails to comply with a court order, a judge will more likely be willing to make the requested changes.
  • You can also file a motion for contempt of court, which will require your co-parent to show up in court and explain their actions to a judge. Your ex can potentially face sanctions, fines, and even a brief imprisonment. Additionally, you can also ask that your ex cover the cost of your legal fees as a penalty for disobeying the court order. Contempt should only be done in extreme cases.
  • As a last resort, you can also contact the police. Involving law enforcement may be an effective move if your ex is outright denying your orders and refusing to give you your children during your court-ordered time. Note: the police are often reluctant to get involved in what they deem a “civil” matter.

Whichever path you choose to take, be sure to document everything. The more details and evidence you have, the stronger your case will be, making it easier to achieve a successful outcome.

Speak to an Experienced Child Custody Attorney About Your Case Today!

If your former spouse refuses to comply with your child custody order, the legal team at The Law Offices of Andrea Schneider can provide the knowledgeable legal counsel you need to protect your parental rights. Child-related matters are taken seriously by the court, so do not hesitate to act fast.

Reach out to our law office today at (619) 304-8499 to schedule an initial consultation with our attorney to get started on your child custody case.